How can you be a considerate shopper and make your local community brighter, happier, and more successful?
Times are tough for us all right now. COVID-19 has had a significant impact on fashion, shopping, and our collective mindset. We’re all feeling the strain of being stuck inside, not able to see our friends and family. We’re worried about our loved ones getting sick, and we’re feeling anxious about holiday shopping paired with the crazy crowds. But amidst all that stress, you still have the choice to be kind. Being a considerate shopper is the best gift you can give to your community this holiday season.
I launched Current Boutique with the dream of a safe, happy, gorgeous place that would make quality designer fashion accessible to women. That dream goes beyond just the clothes (we have the clothes part down to a science). I have always dreamt of creating a space that enlightens and empowers shoppers and employees alike; a space where the surrounding community loves to engage with us; and a business that puts people and kindness above all else.
I’m going to walk you through 6 ways you can help Current Boutique and your community by being a considerate shopper and beautiful human being this season.
There’s a lot of stress out there
In chatting with my employees they have experienced many different kinds of interactions some negative and some extremely positive. We’ve had some customers coming into the store grumpy and on-edge. Almost all of my employees have expressed concerns about their mental wellbeing as we head into peak season, as more and more customers are taking their frustrations out on them.
We understand why customers are stressed. 2020 has been a struggle for everyone. But stress isn’t healthy for anyone. (In fact, stress kills!) So what can we do to be even kinder to one another this year?
We love our customers
We also have to share the flip side of the story. Current Boutique has some of the best customers! There are some regulars who come in that show appreciation and friendship to our employees. They want to build relationships with us just as much as we want to build relationships with them. Their kindness, goodness, and love has kept us going through all of our recent obstacles. It has been so beautiful to build these connections with each and every one of you.
Thank you to our beautiful clientele who keep us loving, moving forward, and aligned with our mission. We appreciate you so very much.
How to be a considerate shopper
1. Maintain personal space.
Social distancing and wearing a mask are the best ways to prevent the spread of COVID-19, while also making employees and other shoppers feel more secure. You don’t know what another person’s situation is—if they live with a sick grandparent or they have an immune disorder (and still have to work). Keeping your distance, following signage, and waiting in line at least 6 feet back is a great way to show you care about other people’s concerns and health. With holiday crowds coming in, a little extra space will be so appreciated this year.
2. Smile with your eyes and words.
If you’re like me, I tend to show my kindness through physical touch (hugs and handshakes) and smiles, but those aren’t an option right now due to social distancing and masks. Still, that doesn’t mean you can’t show your love to others around you.
- Smile under your mask! Most people can innately discern a true smile “in the eyes” (your eyes crinkle with a genuine smile, and they don’t crinkle with a fake one). So, even if they can’t see your mouth, they’ll be able to sense that you’re smiling.
- Make eye contact. Eye contact shows respect. Also, did you know, making eye contact with someone is more likely to make you more empathetic towards them (and vice versa)? A little empathy can go such a long way in times of stress.
- Say something nice. Words work through the mask. Genuine compliments can make someone’s day (or week, or month) even better!
Being a considerate shopper might mean going out of your way to lighten the load for others who might feel stressed during this time. One random act of kindness can have a butterfly effect for the entire community!
3. Use contactless payment if possible.
Contactless payment is a great way to minimize the spread of germs, and it’s also a lot faster and more convenient for you and the retailer’s employees. We know the holiday season is hectic and you’re short on time. So, something as simple as quick payment can streamline the purchasing process for everyone. Plus, it’ll help keep you, shoppers, and retailers safe and healthy this season.
4. Be a considerate shopper by showing gratitude.
My employees often share with me how a simple “please” and “thank you” goes such a long way. Retail workers are on their feet all day, running back and forth, while trying to deliver the best possible experience for you. A little appreciation and gratitude for their hard work during these trying times can mean the world to them. You can be their Santa Claus with just a nice word or two.
5. Support local businesses.
Local businesses are struggling right now. With lockdowns, slower foot traffic, social distancing and cleaning guidelines, and more, businesses have a lot to focus on to keep you safe while you shop—while also keeping revenues up. You can do your part to keep local businesses alive and thriving with just a few easy, simple steps:
- Shop local. Local stores like Current Boutique will be thrilled you came in, and you’ll often get a higher level of customer service than you might in big box stores.
- Post a positive review on Yelp, Google, Facebook, or other platform you use about your favorite local shops, like Current Boutique. Some stores even offer thank you gifts or discounts to show their appreciation for your reviews.
- Follow local businesses on social media. Like their posts and share with friends. It may seem silly, but it can do a lot for local marketing.
- If you don’t feel comfortable going in-store, buy online. Some stores offer buy online and pick up in store, or you can have it shipped to your house. You can still support local businesses, even from the comfort of your home.
- Buy or give a gift certificate for future spending. This gives your local business some extra leeway and revenue, and gift certificates to local businesses is a beloved and sustainable gift for the holiday 2020 season. Your friends will love the chance to buy gorgeous, quality fashion while supporting a local shop. Stop by your neighborhood Current Boutique to pick up a gift certificate and give the gift of sustainable, stunning fashion this season.
6. Love yourself.
Being a considerate shopper means having low-stress and a love for people… And that outward love has to start with internal love! When you are happy, secure, and loved, you’ll spread that kindness and love with the world. And the world NEEDS your kindness right now.
There are a million ways to show yourself some love in 2020. Here are just a few ideas to get you started:
- Gorgeously glow up from the inside out
- Remember that fashion is self-care
- Look chic and stay motivated, even from home
- Check out these tips from The Law of Attraction to love yourself and be confident
Winter is chilly, but our attitudes don’t have to be! Being a considerate shopper is the best gift you can give to your community this season. Thank you for your spirit, your loyalty, and your love <3