I adore winter fashion. Cold weather means playing around with layers, textures, and gorgeous rich colors. As winter makes its arrival, it’s time to stock your closet with the cold-weather essentials that will keep you warm, cozy, and stylish this season. If you have a minimal capsule wardrobe, these nine winter basics should be the cornerstone of your closet; if you have a closet brimming with gorgeous pieces, these nine pieces should hang front and center, ready for everyday use.
1. White sweater
A white sweater is a winter must-have. Sweaters are cute and cozy, and a classic sweater will never go out of style. Two types of sweaters have made their way into the “timeless” Winter Hall of Fame: chunky knits and cashmere pullovers.
An oversized, chunky knit is forgiving and comfortable, while a pullover creates a stunning feminine silhouette.
I love a white sweater so much because winter white easily transitions from autumn to the holidays, and it looks stunning for the remainder of the winter season following the holidays as well. Plus, white will never go out of style and it’s flattering on most women (sometimes white can be even more flattering than black).
It doesn’t have to be pure white. Ivory, off-white, and eggshell are equally as wintery and classic. Find a shade of white that looks best with your coloring, and it will become an instant staple in your closet.
Pair a sweater with jeans and booties for an easy, casual winter look, throw it with a pencil skirt for a work-ready outfit, or layer it with a wool coat for an elegant date night ensemble.
2. Sweater dress
Sweater dresses are effortlessly chic, and they make building an outfit a breeze. Sweater dresses offer the femininity of a dress but with all the warmth you need for those chilly winter days. There are lots of ways to wear sweater dresses, so find a silhouette that best suits your style, whether that’s snug and form-fitting or loose with a wraparound waist.
In recent years, we’ve seen a lot of oversized sweater dresses paired with thigh-high or knee-high boots. This creates an eye-catching outfit that’s perfect for brunch with the girls or a night on the town.
If you prefer low booties, add tights or leggings under your sweater dress to stay warm yet stylish. (Peep this outfit’s trending moto boots for fall and winter 2022.)
Maxi sweater dresses are particularly popular this season. They’re a great way to ward off the chill while still having a long, flowy, and flattering silhouette.
If you want something more form-fitting, a wrap sweater dress will accentuate your curves. I love how clean and crisp this outfit is – and it’s in the Winter Pantone 2022-2023 shade Iced Coffee!
You can’t go wrong with a white or ivory sweater dress. But if you already have a closet full of classic white sweaters, opt for a neutral like camel, brown, or black that will look stunning with a pair of black tights and boots.
3. Elevated sweatshirt
We love sweaters, but they can also be a little high-maintenance. A lot of sweaters are dry clean only, which is unsustainable (and quite frankly, just a big pain). Even if they’re not, they at least require a little extra love in the laundry room like hand washing or air drying. So, if you’re not into sweaters, add an elevated sweatshirt to your lineup of winter go-tos.
Cut-off sweatshirts are increasingly popular. This kind of sweatshirt looks like a long-sleeve but has the weight and warmth of a sweater.
Or it might be a slightly oversized crewneck that you can wear with black wide-leg pants, jeans, or even a skirt.
If you think sweatshirts are just for work-at-home, think again. Look how easily a sweatshirt pairs with a stunning maxi skirt for an eye-catching wintery vibe.
Hooded sweatshirts layered underneath blazers or trench coats have become one of the hottest aesthetics for winter 2022.
And we’re still seeing a lot of graphic sweatshirts in go-to streetwear, which allow more space for maximalist fashionistas to express their style and thoughts.
4. Investment coat
An “investment coat” is an elevated, quality coat that adds structure and sophistication to your outfit. These are usually neutral-colored, long coats with unique detailing like strong shoulders, elevated buttons, or purposeful collars.
The right winter coat can make any outfit look refined. Throw it over jeans and a long-sleeve tee for an effortless, cool-girl vibe.
Or layer it over your work clothing for a professional outfit that’s perfect both in and out of the office.
There are a few different avenues you can go with an investment winter coat. Wool coats are most popular, particularly in camel or black. Wool coats are warm, elegant, and timeless. Plus, wool is one of the most sustainable and natural fabrics available.
Because it’s an investment, you’ll likely want a neutral color like camel, black, brown, or white. A camel color matches beautifully with most winter-colored outfits, like all-black, all-white, or denim jeans.
Black is an easy go-to that will always look chic. It’s perfect for hitting the town, going to the office, or just running errands. Black pea coats, which are structured and have buttons, are especially timeless and popular.
But if white is more your style, you can’t go wrong with an elegant winter white coat. I love how sophisticated and clean white coats look against a wintery backdrop.
What’s most important is finding a style, a color, and a fit that you love. A quality coat can become your best friend for winter seasons to come, so make sure it suits your style rather than the trends on hand.
5. Casual coat
Sometimes, you just want a cute, casual coat that you can throw on. Your casual coat should be comfortable, easy to wear, and weatherproof. (A lot of investment coats aren’t the best for snow and rain, so you want a go-to waterproof coat that can keep you warm and dry in bad weather.)
The puffer coat is the most popular casual coat. These are cute and stylish, and they’ve been trending for the past few winters, so they’re quickly becoming a staple of every cool girl’s winter wardrobe.
If you live somewhere particularly cold (you know who you are), then you’ll likely want a full-length coat that extends down to your knees.
If your hometown doesn’t get that cold, you might be able to get by with a shorter puffer or fleecy bomber jacket.
If you love layering, you might even want to invest in a puffer vest that will add warmth while still showing off your favorite long-sleeves and sweaters.
Psst… Don’t forget about the power of the leather jacket! A leather jacket is edgy, timeless, and effortlessly cool. Dress it down with jeans or black pants, or dress it up with a black sweater dress for work!
6. Weather-proof boots
Cold weather screams boots. But different styles of boots come in and out of fashion. Some years, low booties are in, and other years thigh-high boots are. So how can you choose the most timeless boots? Avoid trends, invest in weather-proof boots (especially if you live anywhere rainy or snowy), opt for neutrals, and purchase booties that speak to your unique sense of style.
Chelsea boots are mainstays for autumn and winter. If you’re looking for a classic go-to boot, I highly recommend a Chelsea style. Chelsea boots are ankle-high boots with an elastic side panel, so they’re easier to slip off and on. They date all the way back to the Victorian era, and they’ve essentially held their popularity since then.
Snow boots can be cute too! They are as adorable as they are practical. Best yet, thanks to their functionality, the right pair of snow boots will never go out of style. Boots with laces, faux fur, or cute details will be a great addition to your winter wardrobe.
When looking for a quality, long-term boot, I recommend a neutral color that will match a lot of the pieces in your closet. I personally prefer no heel or a minimal lift to prioritize comfort and safety. But that doesn’t mean the right pair of accent boots can’t do the trick too.
7. Black leggings
Leggings used to be a trend in athleisure, but they’ve quickly become a mainstay in fashion. There is nothing quite as easy and comfortable as a quality pair of leggings. Just add snow boots, a puffer jacket, and a cute sweater and you have a put-together look that’s ready for any winter activity!
I love that leggings can be both casual and sophisticated. Throw them on with a vest, a long-sleeve tee, and some cute accessories for a gym-ready look…
Or add booties, a classic blouse, and upgraded accessories for a sophisticated vibe.
While leggings are a year-round piece, thick and fleece-lined leggings are specific to winter. Thicker leggings are a great way to stay warm while still having a slim, flattering silhouette on your lower half.
Leather leggings are also perfect for winter. Leather and faux leather are naturally warm, but they also give an edgy texture that can take any outfit from casual to elevated. I particularly love leather leggings as a holiday outfit go-to.
Like everything on this list, quality matters when it comes to your leggings. Poor quality leggings from fast fashion companies are likely to rip, pill, and lose their shape quickly. Quality leggings, though, will create a stunning silhouette and last in your closet for months – if not years – of use.
Not sure how to wear leggings? Check out these 11 leggings outfits that are comfy and sophisticated.
8. Neutral tights
Sometimes leggings are just too thick and pigmented. If you want your dress, skirt, or oversized sweater to do the talking, then a pair of neutral tights is the perfect choice. Tights can help keep the chill off your legs without having the “commitment” of black leggings. Plus, tights add a sophisticated touch to your look. This is perfect for holiday parties or to elevate casual, everyday outfits.
Tights can add texture and dimension to your look. Notice how this outfit is all neutral colors, but the different textures of the chunky knit, the wool, and the patterned tights give it a lot of visual intrigue.
I also love that tights, especially black tights, can make any outfit feel wintery. Even these light-wash denim shorts are perfect for winter when paired with an overcoat, black tights, and the right boots.
Although you should keep black and skin-tone tights on hand, don’t be afraid to use colored tights as an accent for your outfit as well.
Always invest in quality tights. You don’t want to worry about your tights ripping or pulling. Investing in quality tights –rather than buying a bunch of cheap tights –will save your wallet and your wardrobe in the long run.
9. Long-sleeve tee
Looking chic often comes down to layering. Even the simplest graphic tee looks purposeful and polished when layered on top of a turtleneck or underneath a wool coat. That’s why we recommend having a few long-sleeve tees in your arsenal that are easy to layer with other winter wardrobe essentials.
A simple white long-sleeve will go with just about anything in your closet. Pair it with jeans and a wool coat for a casual, cozy vibe…
Or use it as a work-ready basic to stay warm yet chic.
I love this striped turtleneck long-sleeve because it’s timeless and neutral, but it adds just enough dimension to give life to an otherwise simple outfit.
The key is finding a long-sleeve tee that fits well, is comfortable, and is neutral enough to mix and match with the other pieces in your wardrobe.
Are you ready for winter?
These nine winter essentials will keep you warm and stylish. They’ll be high-quality investment pieces that can last in your closet for years. That makes them a smart decision for the planet, for your wallet, and for your wardrobe!
Don’t forget the winter accessories to complete the look. Check out these 9 winter accessories that never go out of style.
- White chunky sweater: https://www.miamiamine.com/2020/12/revolve-sweater.html
- White pullover sweater: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/729160995932701755/
- Winter white: https://styledsnapshots.com/2019/12/2-festive-looks-with-1-sweater.html
- Ivory sweater: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/68739946964/
- White sweater outfit: https://fashionjackson.com/camel-wrap-coat/
- Sweater dress with boots: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/5066618323196200/
- Sweater dress with tights: https://www.whowhatwear.com/new-york-fashion-week-trends-1
- Maxi sweater dress: https://iamstyle-ish.com/2021/01/9-super-easy-ways-to-wear-dresses-in-the-winter-and-not-freeze.html
- Wrap sweater dress: https://www.southerncurlsandpearls.com/best-sellers-of-2020/
- Camel sweater dress: https://cellajane.com/2017/10/fall-favorites-sweater-dress-otk-boots.html
- Cut off sweatshirt: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/188940146858502688/
- Oversized crewneck: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/281543719492876/
- Sweatshirt with skirt: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/599682506646757097/
- Hooded sweatshirt layer: http://valerialipovetsky.com/blog/2017/9/18/chic-on-a-budget-outfits
- Graphic sweatshirt: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/244109242296854836/
- Investment coat: https://fashionjackson.com/camel-coat-outfit/
- Casual investment coat: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/313070611609191926/
- Work investment coat: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/31384528633789412/
- Camel coat: https://www.mychicobsession.com/how-to-look-elegant/
- Black pea coat: http://teetharejade.com/outfit-boy-ish/
- White coat: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/859906122616090596/
- Perfect coat: https://fashionjackson.com/white-monochrome-outfit/
- Puffer coat: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/360780620161972027/
- Long puffer coat: https://sterlingstyleacademy.com/blog/puffer-jackets-in-style-in-2021-to-2022-best-quilted-coats/
- Fleece bomber jacket: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/1057923768688848149/
- Puffer vest: https://styleandsway.com/nothing-to-wear-here-are-5-top-easy-outfits/
- Leather jacket 1: http://www.woahstyle.com/blog/best-of-hailey-biebers-balenciaga-outfits-celebrity-style?format=amp
- Leather jacket 2: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/5277724555891954/
- Winter boots: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/451134087686123264/
- Chelsea: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/48202658502947961/
- Moto boots: https://www.theteacherdiva.com
- Snow boots: https://kellyinthecity.com/survive-chicago-winter/
- Neutral boots: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/489485053263122344/ Accent boots: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/281543714410582/
- Leggings: https://styledsnapshots.com/2020/11/styling-leggings.html
- Casual leggings: https://cellajane.com/2019/01/how-to-style-faux-leather-leggings.html
- Elevated leggings: https://artisthue.com/fall-outfits/
- Leather leggings: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/306033737187486551/
- Quality leggings: https://maisondecinq.com/french-fashion-essentials/
- Tights: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/703756180592278/
- Textured tights: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/316237205095673314/
- Tights and shorts: https://www.teenvogue.com/gallery/black-tights-celebrity-outfit-ideas
- Green tights: https://www.the-atlantic-pacific.com/2018/11/29/sarah-flint-walk-woman/
- Quality tights: https://www.goodtomicha.com/top-black-women-influencers-to-follow/
- Long-sleeve tee: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/996843698745183029/
- White long-sleeve: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/462815299219760194/
- White long-sleeve white pants: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/184155072256581622/
- Striped long-sleeve tee: https://styledsnapshots.com/2017/10/camel-sweater-coat.html
- Long-sleeve with boots: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/615796949039202480/