The beauty of the fashion industry is that trends are always cycling. What was cool twenty years ago and has since fallen to the back of your closet is now ultra-chic and trendy once again. But don’t expect what you wore in the 2000s to exactly match the styles we see in modern streetwear today. When “old” trends come back on the scene as new ones, they aren’t just copied and pasted into today. Instead, we’ll see fashion designers draw inspiration from those trends while adding a modern twist that makes the looks feel fresh and contemporary.
In 2022, Y2K fashion is all the rage. We’re seeing some of the quintessential late ‘90s and early 2000s styles back on the scene, like hot pink everything, low-rise jeans, bedazzled logos, baguette bags, and more. A lot of modern fashion icons are utilizing the Y2K fashion to create outfits that are as modern as they are nostalgic.
What are some of the Y2K trends that are finding their way into the current fashion scene and how can we modernize them for a fresh 2022 look?
1. Low-rise jeans
We can’t talk about Y2K fashion without mentioning low-rise jeans. But this year, we’re not seeing those low, low-rises from the early 2000s where the rise sat below your hip bones. Instead, 2022 is seeing a higher version of the low-rise. Although it’s lower than a high-rise (which sits around the waist) or a mid-rise (which sits between your waist and hips), the low-rise now sits more comfortably around the hips. Gone are the days of worrying your butt might show in your jeans or showing off everything below your belly button. Today’s low-rise jeans are made to be comfortable, flattering, and more body-inclusive.
Low-low-rise from the early 2000s:
Less-low-rise in 2022:
We’re also seeing low-rise jeans in baggier fits to match the current styles. Although the early 2000s also saw a lot of baggy jeans, today’s looks are less “grunge” and more about comfortable elegance.
Low-rise grunge from the early 2000s:
Low-rise chic in 2022:
2. Cargo pants
Cargo pants are both trendy and timeless. While they frequently cycle in and out of trend based on the season, they’re also a staple on fashion runways in different forms. A lot of designers use cargo pants to add an edgy vibe or streetwear style to their shows, but cargo pants have recently become more mainstream for everyday fashionistas.
The cargo pants from the ‘90s haven’t changed much, but we’re seeing a few key differences. The early 2000s cargo pants style of cinched capri bottoms…
And of oversized bottoms that cover your shoes…
Are both out of fashion in lieu of wide-leg cargo pants with a tapered bottom.
We’re particularly seeing cargo pants in loungewear, with more comfortable and loose-fitting styles and materials,
As well as cargo pants that are slim-fit and tailored for professional workwear.
3. Micro skirts
Micro skirts are coming back on the scene, from short denim skirts that show off your legs to flouncy tennis shorts that are fun and flirty. But, just as low-rise got a little higher, micro skirts are also getting a little longer. They’re not sitting so low, and they’re not riding up so high. Today’s skirts are longer micro-skirts that highlight silhouette and finish.
The micro skirts of the 2000s created an almost boxy, cut-off-at-the-middle look…
Whereas today’s micro skirts focus more on lengthening the leg and tightening the waist.
We’re likely to see a lot of matching sets, where the micro skirt and shirt are perfectly matching, creating a more cohesive and lengthening style.
We’re also going to see micro skirts in more fabrics and textures as opposed to the classic denim look from the early 2000s.
4. Dresses over pants
I never thought this one would come back, but it’s here! However, we’re not seeing the same kind of dresses over jeans look that the celebs rocked on the runways in the early 2000s…
In 2022, we’re seeing a more elevated version of this style with matching sets, long tunic tops…
And oversized or button-down blouses that give the illusion of a dress worn over pants.
Layering has become particularly popular in recent seasons, so we will likely also see layering of sweaters, dresses, and pants as we move into the fall 2022 season.
5. Tailored vests
Speaking of layering, layering with vests is coming back on the scene. In the early 2000s, vests – especially sparkly or brightly colored vests – were all the rage. And it wasn’t uncommon for celebs to wear a vest as their shirt.
Modernly, we’re seeing the reemergence of this trend, but the vests are more structured and tailored.
Structured vests have become the modern blazer, especially when paired with matching bottoms.
We’re also seeing a lot of layered vests over light, flowy blouses or with other structured pieces.
6. Tube tops
Tube tops are back! There isn’t much of a structural change to the tube top for 2022 – it still has that fun, feminine vibe from the early 2000s. The key difference is that the tube tops of the 2000s used to be statement pieces in their own right…
But today’s tube tops are often used as “basics” in a classic, elegant capsule wardrobe.
A plain black or white tube top can function as an easy summer or winter piece to dress up or down however you like. (Maybe even throw in a tailored vest while you’re at it!)
If you’re looking to invest in a more timeless tube top, opt for something with a feminine sweetheart neckline that’s flattering on most body types, as compared to tube tops with cut-outs or fringe that will go out of style quickly.
7. Matching cardigan set
Cropped cardigans were all the rage in the early 2000s for cold winter days (since the rest of your clothing did little to cover up for you). Carrie Bradshaw rocked the look, and now it’s back in style for you too!
We’re seeing a lot of celebs in cute, cropped cardigans with matching bandeaus or tube tops to give an effortless yet chic Y2K look.
I love how easy it is to wear a matching sweater set because you already have a built-in outfit that takes no time to throw together, but it always looks purposeful and chic.
Which Y2K trends will you rock?
Trends are constantly cycling but with new and modern twists. I love that Y2K is back because it’s an era all about expressive, creative fashion. 2022 Y2K-emergence fashion emphasizes elevated basics that are less about cutesy looks as they are quality, lasting pieces that make you feel good. In 2022, you’ll find Y2K-inspired trends that are as fun and happy-inducing as they are classy and stunning. Start shopping preloved pieces at Current Boutique to find your favorite Y2K-inspired pieces that feel fresh and modern while still withstanding the test of time.
- Low low-rise: https://www.buzzfeed.com/shelbyheinrich/times-fashion-in-the-2000s-defied-the-laws-of-gravity
- Low-rise 2022: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/37788084366055315/
- Low-rise grunge: https://www.buzzfeed.com/laraparker/just-a-quick-reminder-that-we-used-to-dress-like-this-in-the
- Low-rise baggy 2022: https://fashionmagazine.com/style/how-to-style-low-rise-jeans-spring-2022-trends/
- Cinched cargo: https://www.cosmopolitan.com/style-beauty/fashion/news/g5852/early-2000s-celeb-trends/
- Oversized cargo: https://www.glamour.com/story/7-early-00s-fashion-trends-that-havent-come-back-but-totally-should
- Tapered cargo: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/222224562853868027/
- Loungewear cargo pants: https://www.labellesociety.com/2021/12/15/cargo-pants-outfit-ideas-for-women/
- Work cargo pants: https://www.girlsharestips.com/women-cargo-pants-outfit-ideas/
- Micro skirt 2000: https://www.universityoffashion.com/blog/the-y2k-breakout-trend-the-micro-mini/
- Micro skirt 2022: https://www.nylon.com/fashion/micro-mini-skirt-fall-2022-trend
- Matching micro set: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/8022105578095884/
- Pleated micro skirt: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/135671007531509631/
- Dress over pants: https://www.instyle.com/fashion/clothing/dress-over-pants-fashion-trend
- Tunic top: https://www.popsugar.com/fashion/photo-gallery/46578758/image/46613520/NYFW-Day-7
- Layering dress and pants: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/526780487670949133/
- Button down blouse over pants: https://www.hercampus.com/style/5-looks-thatll-convince-you-wear-dress-over-pants/
- Vest 2000: https://wearzeitgeist.com/vintage-fashion/2000s-fashion-trends
- Vest outfit: https://www.whowhatwear.com/vest-as-a-shirt-trend-kendall-jenner
- Workwear vest: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/33425222225965801/
- Layered vest: https://howtowearfashion.com/toppers/how-to-wear-black-tailored-vests
- Tube top 2000: https://www.glamour.com/story/hit-me-baby-one-more-time-thes
- White tube top: https://www.whowhatwear.com/tube-top-outfits--5b072dae95e3a
- Black tube top: https://www.insider.com/photos-of-celebrities-wearing-2000s-fashion-2019-10
- Sweetheart tube top: https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/703756182634882/
- Cropped cardigan 2000: https://www.marieclaire.com/fashion/g26907530/2000s-fashion-trends/
- Cropped cardigan 2022: https://www.glamour.com/gallery/sweater-sets
- Matching cardigan set: https://www.purewow.com/fashion/y2k-fashion-trends