With summer finally here and the ocean calling our names, the mermaid aesthetic is back in full force, beckoning us sexy sirens to answer its call. If you want a fun, flirty wardrobe inspired by these mythical sea creatures, we’ve got you covered! Strap on your seashells and get ready to channel your inner mermaid with these stunning outfit ideas.
Metallic, sparkly fabrics, especially in silver or blue colors, give the illusion of water droplets glittering in the summer sun. I love the versatility of metallic pieces. They’re perfect for everything from a casual date night to dazzling on the dance floor, from stunning streetwear to cocktail wedding attire. Most people save metallics for NYE, so breaking out your favorite shiny pieces over the summer is a great way to turn heads and get more use out of your closet.
You can never go wrong with a classic silvery, sparkly metallic sheath dress for something that’s equally sultry as it is siren-y.
Get your own version of this dress. Right now, we have a stunning BCBG pewter draped sheath dress that’s sure to be snatched up any day now.
If cool-toned silver isn’t your color, warm gold or even rose gold metallics give off an elevated, bright beach-ready vibe as well.
A metallic pleated skirt is a mermaid wardrobe must-have. You’ll feel like you’re wearing a shiny siren fin, but it will still be a great accent piece to pair with the other landlubber pieces in your closet.
I’m obsessed with this Club Monaco rose gold metallic miniskirt we just got in. It’s the perfect way to grab attention and feel glamorous all night long.
Not a fan of metallics? Get a similar effect with sequins! A sequin dress, blouse, or pants will also give you that stunning “scaly” look that adds texture and intrigue to an outfit.
Check out this one-of-a-kind sequin strapless Jaqueline dress by Retrofete that gives rebellious siren vibes with large scales and a sultry slit.
Another fabric that gives that wet, sexy look is satin. Satin slip dresses are trending for 2022, but they’re also a timeless option that you can easily dress up or down for endless summers to come.
Look how stunning this aquamarine asymmetrical satin dress is. Between the sheen, the wave-like movement, and the pastel color, this is giving all the mermaid vibes.
A white satin dress is classy, classic, and effortless. Dress it down with wedges and layered necklaces for a summer beach vibe or add a fluffy cardigan and stockings for cold winter days. You can never go wrong with a high-quality neutral satin dress.
This Alice and Olivia champagne pink satin mini dress is the perfect combo of sheen, elegance, and sexiness. This one’s going to be gone soon so grab it now!
Pants that hug the hips and thighs and then flare at the knee or calf provide a mermaid-like silhouette. Wide-flared pants look amazing on women who carry their weight in their hips, thighs, and butt, offering a leg-lengthening effect when they cover the tops of your shoes as well. Check out this guide to wearing flare pants for each body type.
Flared, light-wash jeans pair beautifully with whites and light neutrals for a bright, airy outfit that’s perfect for summer.
Dark trousers with a more dramatic flair might be your choice if you tend to lean towards the more sultry side of the sexy siren vibe.
Don’t sleep on flared yoga pants, either (but do sleep in them because they’re so comfortable!). Flared leggings provide enough shape and dimension that make them the ideal athleisure piece to go from Pilates to powerhouse boss with just a few outfit tweaks.
Don’t be afraid to have fun with it, like this Mamma Mia-inspired look with ruffled “fin” fit and flare denim paired with a Greece-worthy metallic top.
I cannot get enough of this silver metallic and black flared jumpsuit by Black Halo. Not only is the outfit entirely put-together in one piece, but it has both the wet metallics and flared mermaid bottom! You can catch me in this for every summer event this season.
Peplum top or dress
For an upper-body silhouette reminiscent of the flared mermaid shape, a peplum top is a flirty and flouncy option. Peplums cycle in and out of trends frequently, so you can definitely make a peplum work to your advantage this summer. Plus, a peplum style is the perfect option for dinner dates or brunch with the girls to cover up any bloating or full bellies.
A peplum lace or eyelet fabric is a timeless option because it has a feminine silhouette that compliments lots of body types, especially when paired with straight-leg jeans and heightening heels.
A peplum with a more unstructured, loose flare is perfect for casual summer days.
A peplum dress is a great option to bring those mermaid vibes into the workplace.
Or try out a layered peplum for a relaxed and beachy vibe.
Want a simple and timeless white peplum dress? Check out this Milly dress in excellent condition!
Ruched fabric is a technique that adds texture and embellishment through large folds and pleating in the piece. It creates an intriguing, stunning silhouette that accentuates your curves while hiding any bumps, lumps, or panty lines. This insanely sexy, watery look is both vintage and modern, perfect for the sultry siren with a bit of Hollywood in her.
This casual ruched dress adds movement to a simpler dress, creating a more dynamic look overall.
While other ruching might be deeper and more pronounced, which is particularly beautiful for cocktail attire or date night outfits.
This Nicole Miller ice blue satin ruched plunge dress will have you feeling like you’ve just come to shore from the depths of the sea.
And I cannot get enough of this Nicole Miller purple metallic ruched bodycon dress with black trim. If you’re not into the blue and silver mermaid vibe, this pinkish-purple gives that “wow” factor with a new twist.
Curious about ruching? Learn all about it and how to ruche your own fabric on Masterclass.
Denim miniskirts are so 2000s… and the 2000s are back! Y2K fashion is trending right now, particularly in terms of neon colors, miniskirts, and denim washes. When I think early 2000s, I think of summer beach movieswith the main characters sporting a denim skirt. That’s because denim miniskirts are perfect for warm summer days!
A mini skirt with a strapless white top and summery accessories will have you feeling like every day is a vacation day.
Or bring your mermaid vibes to the city with a denim skirt, white tee, and oversized blazer or cardigan to add a touch of classiness and refinement.
A denim skirt is super cute, and it’s easy enough to pair with other summer essentials in your closet.
Find your perfect wash with our Ultimate Guide to All Things Women’s Denim.
Want your own? Check out this ruffled denim skirt that's perfect for showing off those straight-from-the-sea legs!
Blue, blue, blue
When we think sexy siren, we think ocean waves and clear blue skies. So, reflect that in your outfit with varying shades of blue.
Try out ocean blue trousers for a bold, mermaid-fin look.
Or a flowy navy maxi that’s perfect for a walk on the beach.
Maybe try something in a summery aquamarine (which is also giving Tiffany’s vibes).
Or layer different blues to create a stunning monochrome look.
Here are some of my favorite blue sea-worthy pieces we have on hand right now:
This list can’t be complete without the classic mermaid gown. If you have any event to attend – a wedding, gala, or even just an upscale date night – a dress with a mermaid silhouette is the ultimate in siren vibes. A mermaid dress is similar to a bodycon dress in that it’s form-fitted and hugs the body, but it flares out at the bottom. For midi dresses, it might start flaring at the thigh or knee.
For maxi dresses, it will often flare at the knee or calf.
Mermaid skirts are becoming increasingly popular because they create such a stunning upside-down hourglass figure.
I will never get over how stunning this Dolce and Gabbana magenta lace mermaid dress is. I have been in love with it since I first saw it hit the racks, and I will never stop loving how flattering this silhouette and color are.
Want to incorporate a little mermaid into your outfit without making it your whole look? Add a few mermaid accessories, like:
A metallic bag…
Like this Whiting and Davis gold chainmail crossbody.
Pearl jewelry, either rounded for a more preppy and elegant look or natural for a beachy aesthetic.
Strappy cork wedges for an all-natural aesthetic.
A beachy straw tote bag for all your secret mermaid things.
And a floppy sun hat for tanning on your favorite rock.
Bonus: coastal grandma
“Coastal grandma” has become the hot aesthetic for summer 2022 for people of all ages! Coastal grandma focuses on ocean vibes with a hint of minimalism. If you’re loving the mermaid vibes but not into the sexy siren, coastal grandma might be for you! Check out this Stylecaster article about the coastal grandmother aesthetic here.
Hello, sexy siren!
We’ve curated an entire collection for this sultry, beachy aesthetic – and it’s one of my favorite collections in the store! Start shopping sexy siren looks here.
- Silver metallic: https://themilleraffect.com/ann-taylor-sequin-dress/6t8a3403/
- Rose gold metallic: https://cocobassey.com/how-to-wear-daytime-metallics/
- Metallic skirt: https://www.hellofashionblog.com/2016/11/5-core-pieces-to-mix-and-match-with-every-outfit-ily-couture.html
- Sequin outfit: https://www.stylecharade.com/zara-sequin-pants/
- Aquamarine satin: https://glamourandgains.com/best-satin-slip-dresses/
- White satin dress: https://karinastylediaries.com/the-satin-slip-dress-you-need-now-and-ways-you-can-style-it/
- Light wash flare: https://thestylescribe.com/2015/06/01/stella-mccartney-70s-flared-jeans-flare-denim/
- Dark flare: https://www.thedashofdarling.com/2016/03/zimmermann-high-waisted-maroon-flared-pants.html
- Flared yoga pants: https://livvyland.com/2022/01/27/athleta-elation-flare-leggings-outfit-ideas/#/
- Mamma mia: https://juliaelise.co/travel-blog-page/2018/7/24/young-donna-sheridan-from-mamma-mia-here-we-go-again-steal-her-look
- Lace peplum: https://fashionjackson.com/how-to-style-a-peplum-top/
- Loose peplum: https://stylelixir.com/white-jeans-and-peplum-top-in-the-west-village/
- Work peplum: https://www.sydnestyle.com/2013/09/nyfw-purple-posh/sydne-style-purple-peplum-dress-ted-baker-street-style-new-york-fashion-week-blogger-fashion-trends/
- Layered peplum: http://lomurphy.com/striped-set/lo-murphy-staud-luna-striped-cotton-poplin-peplum-top-staud-blue-orchid-skirt-blue-and-white-dress-stripes-dallas-blogger-summer-style/
- Casual ruched dress: https://cuteandlittle.com/bodycon-dress-style-2-ways-work-weekend/#/
- Fancy ruched dress: https://www.jessleaboutique.com/products/holiday-glow-sparkle-ruched-dress
- Denim mini skirt vacation: https://www.lcbstyle.com/home/2018/8/14/afternoon-in-alys-beach
- Denim mini skirt with blazer: https://fashionjackson.com/black-blazer-denim-skirt-outfit/
- Denim skirt: http://www.jamialix.com/embroidered-denim-mini-skirt/
- Blue trousers: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/543317142547886924/
- Maxi navy dress: https://www.flickr.com/photos/53113834@N05/28812940712
- Aquamarine: https://katemiddletonstyle.org/kate-aqua-dress-bahamas/
- Blue monochrome: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/8725793018980144/
- Mermaid dress: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/7248049383431158/
- Mermaid gown: https://weddingdressesguide.com/fall-wedding-guest-dresses/
- Mermaid skirt: https://fmag.com/how-to-wear-mermaid-skirt/
- Metallic accessories: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/433190057905042463/
- Pearl: https://crossroadstrading.com/beach-ready-style-without-the-beach/
- Wedges: https://justatinabit.com/2016/05/casual-off-the-shoulder-dress-nordstrom-bp-cork-wedges-spring-fashion.html#/
- Straw tote bag: https://www.bedazelive.com/what-to-wear-in-a-heat-wave-20-ultra-chic-looks/
- Coastal grandma: https://totallythebomb.com/coastal-grandma-newest-fashion-trend